January 15, 2008

A Little, or A Lot?

Recently, two wonderful things happened to me. One, I saw Aamir Khan's movie Taare Zameen Par and two; I read the book The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. Both affected me deeply.
The title track of the film is beautifully written, composed and rendered. It touched my soul, not just my heart. It filled my heart with love. It made me cry and paradoxically it lifted my spirits. It also made me grateful for all the things I’ve been blessed with. For parents who care and for a happy childhood.
It seemed almost eerie to then read The Secret. Because Rhonda Byrne says in the book that to attract good things, first be grateful for what you already have. And feel good about yourself and your life. She suggests that we keep a few ‘mood shifters’ up our sleeves to get us out of the blues. A song, a favourite memory, a picture of happy times.
The song does it for me. It reminds me of all the good things in my life… the little things that really count but never get counted.
a hot cup of coffee on a chill evening, cold lemonade on a hot afternoon, a book to curl up with, a pat on the head as Dad walks by, a little tweak on the nose by the husband, the little baby next door twirling a strand of my hair on her chubby finger, a home made sweet offered by the elderly neighbour, the first ray of the sun after a rainy night, a cold sip of water after a long dusty trek, grandma’s hand-woven quilt, the sticky sweet taste of candy-floss, a golgappa filled with cold spicy pani, a favourite movie watched over and over, and cuddling under a cool blanket to watch the bright summer stars.
I think I have all I need. Thank you, Rhonda Byrne and thank you, Aamir Khan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great!!!!Your writing works like a magic wand. It keeps the reader enchanted.... as though a spell is casted... go ahead cast it more and more and more.... cheers!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written :-)
The little things are always the best, totally agree with you :-)

When I remember my school days, it is always the most insignificant, nothing-special-about-them common days that come to my mind - but then they are all so filled with these little things we have with us everyday; we just take them all for granted...

Anonymous said...

well well well.....

Life really seems beautiful, when read this words in ur post

"a hot cup of coffee on a chill evening, cold lemonade on a hot afternoon, a book to curl up with, a pat on the head as Dad walks by, a little tweak on the nose by the husband, the little baby next door twirling a strand of my hair on her chubby finger, a home made sweet offered by the elderly neighbour, the first ray of the sun after a rainy night, a cold sip of water after a long dusty trek, grandma’s hand-woven quilt, the sticky sweet taste of candy-floss, a golgappa filled with cold spicy pani, a favourite movie watched over and over, and cuddling under a cool blanket to watch the bright summer stars"

I always think, Life is indeed beautiful, all we have to do is look at it that way.